Millard, Melissa Thompson
Melissa Thompson Millard is an associate attorney with Barbara J. Howard Co., L.P.A., located in Cincinnati, Ohio. Melissa focuses her practice primarily on family and matrimonial law.
Licensed to practice in Ohio and Kentucky, Melissa represents clients throughout both states who are dealing with legal matters related to divorce, child custody and support, property division, alimony and other related issues. A highly rated attorney, Melissa works closely with all clients she serves, treating them with compassion and respect while advocating on behalf of their rights and best interests. Melissa was selected as a Super Lawyers Rising Star from 2017-2021.
In 2011, Melissa graduated with highest distinction from Indiana University Bloomington, where she earned a Bachelor of Science in Human Development and Family Studies and a Bachelor of Arts in French. She then attended the University of Cincinnati College of Law, obtaining her Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, in 2014 and graduated as a member of the Order of the Coif, a designation given to law students graduating in the top 10% of their class. In 2014, she was admitted to the practice of law in Ohio, and in 2015, she was admitted to the practice of law in Kentucky.
While pursuing her legal degree, Melissa was active with the University of Cincinnati Law Review, where she served as notes and comments editor, and she was a fellow with the college's Glenn M. Weaver Institute of Law and Psychiatry. She also published an article with the University of Cincinnati Law Review that discussed judicial remedies under the Hague Convention.
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Juris Doctor - 2014
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Sciences - 05/2011
- Honors: With Highest Distinction
- Major: Human Development and Family Studies, French
- Ohio, 2014
- Kentucky, 2015
- American Bar Association, Member
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member
- Cincinnati Bar Association, Member
- Cincinnati Association of Collaborative Professionals, Member
- Will Non-Custodial Parents Who Are Refused Visitation with Children Also Be Turned Away from U.S. Courts? Judicial Remedies under The Hague Convention, 82 U. Cin. L. Rev. 1005 (Spring 2014)
- “Ethics & Technology: Where the Rubber Meets the Road,” Cincinnati Bar Association Domestic Relations Institute, April 2015
- “Ethics & Technology: Where the Rubber Meets the Road V 2.0,” Cincinnati Bar Association Domestic Relations Institute, April 2016
- “The Ethics of Keeping it Safe: Data Security for Attorneys – Small Office Perspective,” Cincinnati Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, June 2016
- “The Ethics of Keeping it Safe: Data Security for Family Law Attorneys,” Ohio Chapter of the American Association of Matrimonial Lawyers, January 2017
- “Professionalism – Ethics & Technology,” Cincinnati Bar Association, Ethics and Professionalism Section, November 2018
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2017-2021
community activities & service
- Cincinnati Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, Community Service Committee, Member
- Cincinnati Bar Association, Women Lawyers Section, Member; CLE Planning Committee, Member
- Cincinnati Association of Collaborative Professionals, Pro Bono Project Volunteer
- Hamilton County Domestic Relations Court Family Law Clinic, Attorney Volunteer
- Legal Aid Society/Volunteer Lawyers Project, Attorney Volunteer
- Cincinnati Youth Collaborative, Youth Mentor